Every day people suffer from headaches, and they can be experienced by young and old alike. In some cases, the headaches can be so pervasive that they cause missed school days or missed days of work. It is estimated that over 37 million people suffer from severe headaches in the United States. Of the adolescents checked, 75% suffer from debilitating headaches that are severe enough to cause them to miss school or special events.

Headache Variations

We have all suffered from headaches, and the majority of them are minor and caused by stress, strained muscles in the neck, or being in a certain position for too long. When these types of headaches occur, a chiropractic adjustment and some stretching can usually get rid of the discomfort quite quickly. But what if you are plagued by more severe headaches, such as ones that are so severe they cause nausea, blurry vision, and extreme pain? About 5% of serious headaches are caused by another underlying physical issue, whereas with the remaining 95% of headaches, the headache itself is the primary complaint. When the pain is severe, people will look for any option to control it and some will go to their doctor and take pain medications to quickly allay the symptoms. Others will seek alternative health care providers to assist them with a more permanent and long-term solution.

Chiropractic Care as a Solution

Numerous case studies have shown that chiropractic adjustments can help relieve the pain or headaches, and with continued treatment can help to lessen the frequency and severity of these headaches. One of the studies showed that children who were treated for vertebral subluxations using the Pierce Results System saw improvement after just 6 adjustments. Other studies supported these findings and they found that correcting any abnormalities in the spine allowed for the body to deal with stress better and didn’t lead to painful headaches as often.

Corrective Care Is Needed

When individuals are seen by a chiropractor, they are evaluated and examined thoroughly. In a majority of the headache cases, there is usually an abnormality in the cervical curve that can be helped with chiropractic care. One such study showed a 12-year-old boy who had suffered from severe headaches for years. Using high velocity, low amplitude chiropractic adjustments for a twelve month period created a huge reduction of the vertebral subluxations in his spine, leading to relief from his headaches. Over and over again, chiropractic care has helped many individuals with alignment issues in the spine that are responsible for severe headaches.

How to Proceed with Your Headaches

If you are suffering from headaches, seeking a non-medicinal, long-term, permanent solution is the right thing to do. There is no reason to grit your teeth and suffer through the pain, but there is also no reason to simply take a pill that masks your symptoms and doesn’t actually get to the root cause of the headache problem. Alternative healing treatments through chiropractors can help to align your spine and relieve the pressure on your nerves that is causing the headaches. With regular adjustments, you can expect to have headaches less frequently and with less severity. Chiropractic care can help you to live a normal life with less pain and fewer side effects from medication, all the while improving your overall health and quality of life.



Berner, N., DeMaria, C. “Improvement of Migraines in a Child Following Cervical Curve Correction Using the Pierce Results System.” Journal of Pediatric, Maternal, and Family Health, 2013 June: 47-53. https://livingvitallife.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Improvement-of-Migraines-in-a-Child-Following-Cervical-Curve-Correction-Using-the-Pierce-Results-System-1.pdf.

“Headaches and Chiropractic.” American Chiropractic Association. https://www.acatoday.org/Patients/Health-Wellness-Information/Headaches-and-Chiropractic.

Kelly, D.D., Hold, K. “Resolution of Vertigo, Migraines and Neck Pain in a 12-Year-Old Boy Receiving Chiropractic Care – A Case Study.” Journal of Pediatric, Maternal, and Family Health, 2010 Sept: 150-153. https://livingvitallife.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Resolution-of-Vertigo-Migraines-and-Neck-Pain-in-a-12-Year-Old-Boy-Receiving-Chiropractic-Care-3.pdf.